Pascualina is a pie with a top and a bottom layer of puff pastry covering in the middle a filling of spinach and egg. It originated in Italy but has been very popular in Argentina and Uruguay since the late 1930’s. I have forgotten how many times we have cooked this recipe, it’s so delicious and a great way to get your kids to eat spinach.
While doing some research we found a variation on what we always thought was the traditional recipe using spinach and ricotta cheese.
Pascualina - Spinach and egg pie
Pascualina is a traditional spinach and egg pie
Author: Silvia and Grace
Recipe type: Savoury pie
- Pastry ingredients
- 20 Tbsp. raising flour
- ½ tsp of salt
- 3 Tbsp. of olive oil
- ¾ cup of warm milk
- Filling Ingredients
- 500 gram of frozen spinach thawed
- 1 brown onion finely cut
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 table spoon of Parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs
- Making the pastry
- Place flour in a bowl together with salt, olive oil and warm milk.
- Bring mixture together to form a ball.
- Place dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead 4-5 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide into two pieces and roll into two circles to fit a 30 cm tray. This will make the top and bottom of the Pascualina. Now we go make the filling.
- Making the filling
- Sauté the onion in a fry pan until transparent, then add the spinach (well drained). Mix in well with the onions and cook for 5 min. Add salt, oregano, pepper, cheese and 1 beaten egg and mix in well. Allow to rest for 5 min.
- Putting the Pascualina together
- Place one of the pastry circles onto a 30cm tray (lightly spray with oil) and spread the filling.
- With a soup spoon make four indents in the filling and place a whole egg in each in each indent. Season with salt and lay the second pastry circle over the top.
- Trim edges and secure pastry together by pressing down edges firmly using a fork.
- Pierce the top of the pie and bake for 25-30 min or until golden brown.
Hope you enjoy cooking and eating this traditional South American recipe!!